Folklife are the living traditions shared by familial, ethnic, occupational, religious, regional, and other groups. Folklife reflects the common experiences, esthetics, and values of distinct groups of people. It is handed down informally within the group - from one generation to the next - in face-to-face interactions and through practice.
The Idaho Folklife Resources Directory was created to connect Idaho’s cultural presenters, and educators with traditional folk artists who have participated in the Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program. Artists in this directory are able to offer public performance and demonstrations of skills, and conduct residencies in schools and community festivals.
The Idaho Folklife Resources Directoryis a work in progress and will be updated periodically.
FolkArtists [click on the name to view detailed information about their work].
- Jill Aldape, Basque music, dance, culture - Boise
- Daniel - Dan - Ansotegui, Basque music (Trikitixa, txistu), dance, culture - Boise
- Deana Attebery, leather and rawhide braider - Emmett
- Sean Aucutt, Basque music (pandero), dance, culture - Boise
- Horace Axtell, Nez Perce traditionalist, drummer and drum maker, linguist and religious leader - Lewiston
- Muntaga Bah, Gambian and West African drumming - Kuna
- Maria Andrea Berain, Mexican piñatas, paper flowers, and ripostería (cake baker) - Boise
- Steven Derricott, rawhide and leather braider, case maker - Meridian
- Dale Harwood, saddlemaker - Shelley
- Jeff Minor, rawhide braider - Salmon
- Joanne Hultstrand, Norwegian rosemaler - Boise
- Delphina Jim, willow weaver and cradleboard maker, Shoshone Paiute - Owyhee
- Miki Kawakami, Japanese Taiko and kite maker - Nampa
- Gary Keithley, saddlemaker and silversmith - Melba
- Venantia Mukangeruka, Burundi style basket weaver - Boise
- Philomena Nomee, Coeur d'Alene beader, regalia maker - Plummer
- Norma Pintar, Mexican folk dancer - Meridian
- Randy Priest, Felt mat maker - Donnelly
- Nita Sale - quilter, Meridian
- Jenny Williams, Nez Perce cornhusk weaver - Lapwai
- Cary Schwarz, saddle and case maker - Salmon
- Frank Werner, waterfowl decoy maker - Saint Maries